Monday, October 25, 2010

Slow Down

This is the first of my blogs in my forty day journey.  Although I will start with Chapter 1 tomorrow, I feel like I've learned an important lesson today. 
My life right now is hectic -- insanely busy.  I think I met myself coming and going three or four times today.  Getting kids ready for school, taking them to school, picking up breakfast (no time to cook), work, pick up one kid, pick up lunch (again, no time to cook), work, pick up another kid, work, home for literally 5 minutes, drop one kid at karate while grandparents watch the other 2 (HUGE thanks for that!), then it happened.  I had just dropped Matthew off at karate class and I was thinking of all that I needed to do during that hour that he would be in class and the other 2 were with Grandparents.  I had to take David something for lunch, maybe I could stop at the house and start a load of laundry and load the dishwasher.  Maybe even run into the store for that loaf of bread I've been needing for a few days.  I was walking to my truck and this elderly man was driving his power chair through the parking lot.  He said "Hi" and I replied "Hi, how are you?" and thus began a lesson from God.  Honestly it was nothing the man said.  We actually talked about the weather.  He asked me what I thought about all the wind and I told him I hope it blows in some cooler air and settles down.  Then he told me bad weather is coming.  He said somehow he always knows when bad weather is coming.  He told me about when a tornado came through town in 1980.  All the damage it did and all the cleanup.  Now normally I would have been just about to explode.  I had things to do!  I didn't have time to stand here and talk about the weather.  But God was talking to me too.  I felt so calm, so peaceful.  I stopped worrying about how much I could get done in that short time.  I just listened to him talk.  I never said I had to go.  I let him end the conversation.  He shook my hand and thanked me for listening and he drove off.  I drove away with a new attitude.  I wasn't rushed.  I wasn't stressed or frustrated.  I did what I needed to do and didn't worry about what else I could have done had I rushed.  It may not seem like much to anyone else, but it means alot to me.  I'm constantly in a hurry.  Always rushing -- myself, my kids, my husband.  Hurry, hurry, hurry.  But I never accomplish more than I'm capable of.  I only end up berating myself for what I didn't get done.  I probably accomplish less by always rushing. 
I hope this is a turning point.  I'm tired.  Tired of always running and never finding the finish line.  So here's to the next forty days.  I'm going to slow down.  I'm going to trust God that I will be able to do everything I need to do and not worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment